Monday, January 12, 2015

Manipulation and Sexism...and Cannibalism?

This post contains mild spoilers for the TV show Hannibal.    

Hannibal_Season2_Poster
http://pop-break.com/2014/05/30/binge-watch-hannibal/

      Personally, Im not a big fan of television and I it takes a lot to keep me hooked to a program. But from the first moment I saw Hannibal, I was hooked and Ive watched both seasons endlessly. The dynamic characters, the complex relationships (both platonic and romantic), and creatively disturbing murders intrigued and engaged me in a way Ive never experienced by a TV show, and thats probably what kept me re-watching episodes. Though the more I watched, the more I was bothered by the treatment of characters, specifically Will Graham and Alana Bloom.

     The thing about Alana Bloom is that in a show that does so well depicting numerous intelligent and successful women, it also at times degrades Dr. Bloom, a well-respected psychiatrist, to little more than a love interest. It is incredibly frustrating to watch a well-educated and highly respected woman have her entire character completely drowned by the intertwined relationships between Lector, Graham, and herself. One moment she will be fighting to protect the well-being of others from characters like Crawford and the next the she will go silent and almost complacently accepts actions she finds fundamentally wrong.

http://www.fox8.tv/shows/hannibal/cast/dr-alana-bloom

     Her relationship with Graham demonstrates this. Graham has romantic feelings for her and she knows that she cant pursue a relationship with him because she has too great of interest in him professionally and isnt looking for a relationship. She tells him this, maintains an awkward friendship with him, and tries to protect him from those who wish to exploit him. But the writers decided to complicate things and turn Dr. Bloom into a bit of a hypocrite by placing her into some kind of sexual relationship with Lector. This reduced Dr. Bloom to a means of complicating and straining the relationship between Graham and Lector. Dr. Alana Bloom is a woman of means and intelligence and to see her objectified and degraded is more than distressing to me because I fear for how her character may be depicted in the future.

http://pop-break.com/2014/05/30/binge-watch-hannibal/     

     What frustrated me about Will Graham – or perhaps for him – was how almost every character on the show manipulates and exploits both his character and his empathy. His boss and head of the Behavioral Science Unit (BSU), Jack Crawford, continually forces Graham into looking at crime scenes and using his empathy to get into the heads of serial killers when it is apparent that Graham is mentally unstable and is suffering because of his work. When Crawford sends Graham to see a psychiatrist, I, at first watch, thought it was out of genuine concern for Grahams well-being and mental health, but after a few watches I realized that Crawford sent Graham to a psychiatrist to protect himself from backlash and further his own agenda. It almost disgusted me that Crawford could reduce Graham to little more than helpful tool to catch dangerous people in order to better his own reputation.

https://sites.sonypicturestelevision.com/aboutspt/viewPR.php?id=165

     It wasnt even just Jack Crawford that exploited Graham (or tried to exploit him), others, like Hannibal Lector, a renowned psychiatrist who also happens to be a serial killer and cannibal, manipulated Graham until he barely knew who he was and made him almost suffer a mental break down. Crawford sends Graham to have unofficial therapy sessions with Lector. Lector uses the sessions to manipulate Graham and eventually use him as a scape goat for his crimes as the Chesapeake Ripper. Lectors manipulation was apparent from the beginning and surprisingly didnt upset me as much as Crawfords exploitation, but perhaps thats because of my pre-conceived notions of Lector. I expected Lector to be cunning and use people, which is what happened, but I didnt expect Crawford to use Graham and push him to the point of breaking and then throw him aside.


     This show included human cellos, diabetic mushroom gardens, human beehives, and countless other horrors but nothing bothered me, or repulsed me, more than the treatment of Will Graham. But I kept on watching and I will keep on watching because the complex web of character relationships – minus the triangular relationship between Bloom, Lector, and Graham – and story of how an evil man hides in plain sight and uses his knowledge of psychology to manipulate others, incite corruption, and cause the nearly inevitable downfall of those wed consider heroes. Despite the abuse and reduction of characters, Hannibal proves to be intriguing, engaging, and more than just a bit morbid.   

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I never would have pictured you to be "Hannibal" fan. I personally tried to get into the series so I could tell people that I was actually watching something morbid, but I couldn't do it. There was just something about the show that I couldn't connect with. Second of all your description of the complicated, intertwined networks, of relationships is off the charts! Although I have never seen the show, I totally agree with you when you talked about how certain individuals were twisting Dr. Bloom's character to make her out to be more of a lover rather than an actual doctor. I also agree with you when you mentioned Graham's character. It seems as though people have to mess with a perfectly good character--either through exploitation or manipulation--to find the appropriate audience. Sure I believe things should be "spiced up" at times, but when the writers put the show in jeopardy, then something needs to be done. It seems as though, shows are following in the same foot-steps just to keep an interested audience. When will the writers of television shows learn to actually keep to their own scripts? That will be the day when everything makes sense... okay, maybe not that extreme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're really on to something here with seemingly strong, independent women being reduced to a subservient, sexualized role in the media. I'm a big fan of the show Fraiser, and one of the main female characters, Roz, is constantly being degraded for her sexual activities--as if sex is the only thing that defines her, despite her status as the producer of a pretty popular radio station. The portrayal of women as sexualized and complacent male-pleasers is definitely present and bothersome. For some reason, it especially bothers me that intelligent and successful women are also victims.

    The horrors you describe in this show remind me of a channel that I have spent far too many hours watching: Investigation Discovery. This channel tells real-life crime stories, in gruesome detail--but I can't stop watching it. If you're not familiar with the channel, here are some examples of the show titles: Ice Cold Killers, Wives With Knives, Deadly Women, Fatal Vows, Very Bad Men, My Dirty Little Secret, Who The Bleep Did I Marry? etc

    ReplyDelete