Sunday, November 30, 2014

7 Ways You Should Be Using Those Thanksgiving Leftovers

We've just gotten through Thanksgiving and I’m sure you have leftovers. But the question is, what do you do with the leftovers? Do you make a sandwich or do you eat the leftovers as they are? Honestly though, how many times can you eat a turkey sandwich before you vow to never eat turkey again?

In my family, we have a problem with leftovers. It seems that no matter how much food we send home with relatives, we always have container after container left in the fridge. After several years of most of the leftovers going to waste, my mom and I went about trying to think of different ways to use up the leftovers. Here are 7 ways my family uses up those leftovers that you'll want to try.

Potato pancakes

Potato pancakes are a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving or any occasion when you find yourself with too much mashed potato. My mother and I love frying these up after holidays and enjoying them either eggs at breakfast or as a side dish to dinner. We used up our potatoes in different recipes this year so we couldn't make any, but there is always Christmas!



http://best-foood.blogspot.ca/2013/12/cheesy-mashed-potato-pancakes.html

Turkey Tetrazzini

Ok, so I love tetrazzini. Love it. It’s just plain delicious and a great way to use up all that leftover protein. There are a variety of different proteins you can use in tetrazzini; we love chicken but you can also use turkey, ham, bacon, or portobello mushrooms.







Mashed Potato Crust Quiche


This recipe is another great way to use up those leftover mashed potatoes. Quiche is a highly versatile dish that can be served essentially any time of day whether it be breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. In this recipe we've (my mom and I) have made a cheese quiche, but you can add just about anything to a quiche like onion or broccoli.







Shepard’s Pie

Shepard’s pie is a great dish to use up almost all those Thanksgiving leftovers. It is quick, simple and delicious. My mom and I made up the shepard’s pie ahead of time and then popped them in the oven when we wanted it. This is also the one recipe that I don’t have an official recipe for. We tend to estimate on all the measurements in this dish. But I’ve managed to rough out some estimates for you.

Recipe: Shepard's Pie



Egg in a Nest with Stuffing

Nom, nom, nom. This recipe is a great way to use up all that leftover stuffing in a delicious and quick breakfast. These are also great if you’re hosting a brunch. This also doesn’t have an official recipe because it is only stuffing and an egg. Luckily, I’ve compiled a recipe of rough measurements for all of you who get a little nervous having to eye-ball measurements.



http://www.jillianharris.com/food-friday-thanksgiving-leftovers-menu-2/

Variations on a Turkey Sandwich

I don’t know about you, but I get tired of a plain old turkey sandwich. White bread, turkey, and maybe some cranberry sauce gets really boring after a while. So I present to you a few variations on the turkey sandwich that are sure to bring life to this leftover classic.








Pumpkin Bread Pudding

I’ll admit, deciding to use this recipe in this post was tough. Mainly because this is my secret bread pudding recipe and I’ve refused to divulge this recipe to every family member that has asked. Normally I use a French or Italian sweet bread but pumpkin bread is festive and my mom always makes too much. I also didn’t make bread pudding this year so I don’t have a picture but instead behold delicious pumpkin that I use in this recipe (I could be persuaded to share the recipe for pumpkin bread.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment